It's back for a third year!
If you're a fan of sports at all, or have ever worked in an office, there's a good to great chance that you're aware of the phenomenon that strikes America this time of year. That's right - it's March Madness, the 64 (er, 68) team college basketball tournament that drains efficiency from thousands of companies as workers kill their time filling out their brackets and subsequently trying to sneak in actually watching the games of the first few rounds of the tournament. It's one big semi-gambling semi-orgy - and everyone semi-loves it.
With the NCAA tournament in full force, and with my joint film and sports appreciation, I got the idea to run a box office game the same way that the tournament is run. 32 films, one box office champion, many shining moments.
So, what you'll do is click on the link provided below, download your bracket, fill it by picking the movie for each matchup that you think will have the higher box office total, and send it to me by March 31.
1. For each matchup, select which film will have the higher box office. Continue through the bracket until a champion has been crowned.
2. Scoring per round will be 1-2-4-8-12, for a possible total of 76 points (see table in workbook).
3. For the tie-breaker, enter your predicted top 5 films (box office) from the ones listed. One point for will be rewarded for each correct film, and an additional point for proper placement, for a potential 10 points. In the case of a tie, if one person's tie-breaker portion is not filled out, the other will win.
4. Brackets MUST be turned in (sent to email@example.com) no later than March 31.
5. Box office data will be counted from April 1 - September 25, 2011.
6. One entry per person.
Still slightly up in the air (as usual). I'm throwing in (at minimum) a $25 gift card to AMC Theaters and a t-shirt, but as with last year's booty, I was hoping to get the community-at-large involved in the prize-giving (I'd like to have prizes for the top 3 finishers), so if there's something you can offer to the prize pool, please let me know. Hopefully, we can get a nice prize pack going (more on this later). We had 34 players the first year and 38 last year, so just a few items will make it that much more worth it.
The link to your bracket (if having troubles - right click, Save Target As):
* Please enter your picks using the same titles I have entered in the master bracket, even if they aren't technically accurate; slight changes are made for formatting issues, and having the names match makes the scoring go that much quicker. Please don't re-format the file in any way if possible. Enter your names and picks and go! *
Finally, what fun would this be if it's just a few people? This game is open to EVERYONE. I want this to be BIG! Below is a banner, and I'd love it if you'd put it on your site as well (if possible). Let's do this right! Good luck!
<a href="http://largeassmovieblogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/march-to-box-office-madness-2011.html" target="_blank"><img border="0" alt="Large Association of Movie Blogs" src="http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y82/dyjafi/marchboxbanner200.jpg"/></a>
Good luck, and be sure to get me your brackets by March 31! Any questions, comments, suggestions, or prize offerings, email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.