Featured Posts

Feb 28, 2008

Casting the 2008 Presidential Election Movie

It may never come, but I want to be prepared when it does - the movie based on the 2008 presidential election. Via extensive research (mostly studying pictures and using my vast, encyclopedic knowledge of every actor working today), I present you with the stars of the film, focusing on the current and former candidates; first, let's look at the Republicans:

Ron Paul may be having a hard time on the campaign trail, but this was a relatively quick and easy one to come up with. Besides there being a strong physical resemblance, it doesn't hurt that Josef Sommer has played a president in the recent past (X-Men: The Last Stand).

Following that same trend, Jurgen Prochnow has some experience playing a political candidate, having portrayed California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger is the 2005 made-for-TV movie See Arnold Run. I happen to think he's also a strong candidate to play Mitt Romney.

Ok, so this one doesn't count. Who else to play actor turned congressman Fred Thompson than actor turned congressman turned actor Fred Thompson?

Rudy Giuliani's a tough nut to crack, casting wise. He almost has Jay Leno's chin, but Leno's not really an actor, and outside of that, he really looks nothing like him. Well, Alan Alda kind of does - a little work with the hair and he's really close. As a bonus, Alda has played political figures in the past as well (a senator in The Aviator, the president in Canadian Bacon).

I found Mike Huckabee to be one of the hardest casting decisions. Off the top of my head, he doesn't really resemble any actors of note, but damned if he doesn't look like he should. He's just so...normal looking. At first, I was going to go with Philip Baker Hall (Boogie Nights, "Bookman" from Seinfeld) since he's such a great character actor, but he's a bit too old and, outside of the forehead wrinkles, doesn't much look like Huck. So it's given to another quality character actor (and yet another that has played a president in the past) - Clueless and Dick co-star Dan Hedaya.

Finally, the future Republican nominee - John McCain. You'd think 72-year old actors with young-looking faces (albeit with growths on them) and white hair would be growing off trees, but that's simply not the case. As such, I got a bit creative, using the look and shape of his face as the launching pad, and ignoring much else. Who I came up with may be unorthodox, but with a wig and some aging makeup, I think Larry Miller could certainly be the man for the job.

And over on the Democrat's side of the aisle...

There's plenty of potential actors for the casting of John Edwards. He looks pretty young and is good looking (for a politician). Who better than a resurgent Dennis Quaid to fill his shoes?

Hillary Clinton seemed like a hard casting decision, but lucky for me, I was just flipping channels last night and came across Blue Chips, the college basketball drama starring Nick Nolte and Mary McDonnell. Perhaps that's what subconsciously sparked the idea for this post, as I think with some blond hair and a frumpier look, she'd be a dead ringer for Hillary.

Now, the thorn in my side - Barack Obama. We know there aren't a ton of famous black actors out there; well, guess what? There are even fewer mixed-race (black and white) ones, or at least ones that appear to be. An older Tiger Woods might have done the job, but...not really. Who then? I came up with a few potentials (The Young and the Restless's Kristoff St. John, CSI's Gary Dourdan), only to be disappointed at how little they resembled Obama. Finally, one name and face popped into my head that works pretty well. He hasn't been heard from much as of late, but Mario Van Peebles is my strongest contender to play the strongest contender for the White House. If you can think of a better candidate, I'm all ears.

I'm Fletch, and I approve this message.


30 people have chosen wisely: on "Casting the 2008 Presidential Election Movie"

Anonymous said...

Maybe Denzel to play Obama? Either way, I'd vote for Mario Van Peebles too.

Jess said...

Ooh, I think Kristof St. John is a good choice for Obama. And Mary McDonnell is an inspired choice for Clinton - she could dye and cut her hair to be very similar. Great post!

Nick said...

You mean there's more candidates than McCain, Clinton, and Obama? Since when?! BLASPHEMY, I TELL YOU!

(...awesome post, by the way).

Anonymous said...

Good casting couch you have there.

Ron Paul and his Paultards are kind scary no? Any casting plans for the hordes of Paultards?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OQfFDPYMJvk

They're scary man.

Gnarlsbad Blog said...

That made me laugh, good work!

Adam Ross said...

For some reason I can see Steve Martin as Ron Paul.

Rachel said...

Didn't Emma Thompson play the Hilary-esque character in "Primary Colors." Why not bring her back?

Anonymous said...

How about Cate Blancnett, she nailed Bob Dylan!

Patricia Perry said...

Too funny! I can totally see Dan Hedaya as Huckabee.

But I think the best double for John Edwards is Jack McBrayer from "30 Rock"!

Anonymous said...

Gregory Itzin for Mike Huckabee... he played an untrustworthy president on 24. And they look alike.

Nayana Anthony said...

I love, love, love this idea.

You are dead on with Huckabee, McCain, and Edwards.

Mikey Filmmaker said...

Great post! It cracked me up. Mario Van Peebles as Obama would be awesome.

Fletch said...

Thanks to all for your comments.

Re: Emma Thompson - sure, she might've played Hillary, but clearly McDonell is a closer resemblence (and American, to boot).

Re: Jack McBrayer - he does look like Edwards, but he's at least 15 years too young (and a lesser name than Quaid, I might add).

Re: Gregory Itzin - now that's a good choice. I don't watch 24, so I wasn't familiar with him, but he's a great match.

RC said...

I had to come here after you encouraged me to do so with my last post when I joked about Jamie Foxx as Obama.

I have thought Kevin Spacey or Gregory Itzin for Huckabee the whole election.

And Mel Gibson totally needs to play Mitt Romney (I did another post noting their similar looks)

Clive Dangerously said...

Fred Armisen did a fantastic job as Obama on SNL last Saturday (2/23)--and while we're at it, so did Amy Poehler as Clinton. Obviously they wouldn't work in a serious film, but their performances could have carried that entire episode had the rest not been excellent as well.

Handsome B. Wonderful said...

I heard on the news that Obama says that he would want Will Smith to play him.

Anonymous said...

Mitt Romney is Bruce Campbell! Come on how did you miss that one?

Anonymous said...

Am I the only one that thinks Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson sounds exactly like Obama. and his look isn't that far off either. Sure he's not the best actor, but this would be a good challenge for him.

Fletch said...

@ RC - I recall that Gibson/Romney post. Unfortunately, Gibson doesn't seem interested in acting anymore (the scandal didn't help, either).

@ James - Obama is nuts. Smith seems a terrible choice to play him. Doesn't look or sound like him, too young, etc.

@ John - Bruce Campbell would be a great Romney as well. I like that one.

@ Anon - Outside of the looks department, The Rock is an awesome choice for Barack. I keep waiting for Obama to call Vince McMahon to get the rights to The Rock's theme ("Can you smell...what Ba-Rack...is cooking?!?").

Anonymous said...

Mine would be

Ron Paul - William H. Macy
Mitt Romney - Bruce Campbell
Fred Thompson - Tim Robbins
Rudy Giuliani - Alan Alda
Mike Huckabee - Dan Aykroyd
John McCain - Richard Dreyfuss
Jon Edwards - Tom Cruise
Hillary Clinton - Annette Bening
Barack Obama - Will Smith

Anonymous said...

For Mike Huckabee, how about Bob Gunton? He played the evil warden in the Shawshank Redemption.

For Barack Obama, I'd have to go with Harry Lennix. He played Aaron the moor in Julie Taymore's version of Titus, but is probably best known as Lock, the bureaucratic jerk from the Matrix trilogy. He's a dead ringer for Obama.

Fletch said...

@ Anon with Ted Danson comment - lol. Guess you're not a Cheers fan, then?

@ Tim - excellent call on Harry Lennix. I had not thought on him, and he looks a bit like a sourpuss, but he resembles him A LOT and is probably around the same age. Still think I like Van Peebles in a career-rejuvenating role, but Lennix would work great.

Gunton is a great character actor, but I'm just not seeing enough of a resemblence. He could definitely get the preacher/pastor part down though, and can do drama and comedy equally well.

Nightfall said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nightfall said...

Great post! Though I nominate Clayface as Fred Thompson.
Trackback from:

Neal said...

Kevin Spacey = Mike Huckabee completely, in appearance and voice. Seeing the latter on television always reminds me of Mr. Spacey, and it's a role just BEGGING to be cast with him.

J. Yeh said...

Michael Hogan aka Saul Tigh from Battlestar Galactica as John McCain. Aside from the height difference, I think it's dead on.

Unknown said...

Have always thought that Rebecca De Mornay looked a lot like Hillary Clinton. She could be made up (down) pretty effectively to look like her, I think.

Anonymous said...

Pat Sajak as Edwards.

Anonymous said...

Don Rickles for John McCain!

Andrew Suarez-Grigsby said...

Agree with Hedaya as Hukabee; I'd go with Robert Duvall as Giuliani, Cuba Gooding Jr. as Obama, Anthony Hopkins as McCain. I saw a lot of John Edwards in Nathan Fillion's character in Waitress, he's a bit young but could work.