Featured Posts

Apr 13, 2011

The State of the Cabins (4/13/11)

Movies watched for the first time (non-theatrically) since last week:
Undercover Brother
I talked about this a bit on the most recent LAMBcast (coming this Saturday), so I'll keep this short and sweet. UB is a honkee next to Black Dynamite, in that it pales so much in comparison.

That doesn't mean it's terrible, though - that's more of a statement of BD's greatness. Fact is, though they do share a lot in common (ahem, Jason), they really are a different style of film and comedy. Unfortunately, Brother relies more on the pop culture references of the day, which might be alright were the day still sometime in 2002. As such, after less than a decade, it ironically plays out as a more dated film than Dynamite ever will.

Overall, though, it's biggest problem is that it has no teeth, either comedically or socially, pandering to its audience by dumbing and/or toning down the content in too many places. It settles for mostly on-the-nose humor ("Oh look - a cat fight broke out between those two hot women! Let's stop our our fight and pull up couches and eat popcorn - hilarious!!!") and too much Chris Kattan, and it's no surprise that Dave Chappelle steals the show as Conspiracy Brother, ranting about many of the same types of issues that made his eponymous Comedy Central show the massive hit it was. What did shock me a bit was how un-annoyed I was with Eddie Griffin; he was the main reason I avoided UB, but was solid (no pun intended) despite being forced to more or less repeat the same lines over and over again.

You could do worse, but you'd do a lot better to just watch Chappelle's Show reruns.

Fletch's Film Rating:
Expectation:
"Whatever."
Reality:
"You seem a decent fellow. I hate to kill you."
LAMBScore:
Large Association of Movie Blogs


Music I'm currently obsessed with:
* Absolutely no question whatsoever...from the Hanna soundtrack (by The Chemical Brothers), which I've been wildly obsessed with over the last few days, comes the songs that's been in a non-stop loop in my head, "The Devil Is In the Details." Yes, it's highly repetitive, but I don't care.



Book I'm currently reading:
* Finally started The Roald Dahl Ombibus, a collection of 28 short stories from the author for adults, culled from this previous collections. I'd tell you more, but I'm barely 10 pages into it. I don't think I've ever read a single page of a Dahl book (somehow), though, so it should be interesting at the least.

Things to Click On
* I'm not sure what's more painful - the eight films that the Mad Hatter has been forced to endure, or the waiting for the King of Pain blog-a-thon - voting lasted for like a month and the thing doesn't start for another 2+ months. All this coming from a guy that watches like 78 movies a week. (The Dark of the Matinee)

* Castor wants to know which movies you feel fell flat in their third acts? He took one Danny Boyle film, and I'm gonna answer another (it's likely a popular choice)...so your job is to think of a non-Boyle film. And no, my answer isn't even The Beach. Christ, it's easier to name Boyle films that actually do end well... (Anomalous Material)

* Jack took part in the re-christened Cinematic Alphabet. Quite the cultured, stoic grouping of films, if you ask me. Alphabet Meme! Alphabet Meme! (Not your fault, Jack...nevermind my ranting.) (Jack L. film reviews)

* I'm not positive, but I think by the end of his 60 films/60 weeks ordeal, Nick's going to have seen more like 138 films/60 weeks. This is not a bad thing, I'm just having trouble reconciling the naming issue this has caused. I'm a stickler for consistency. Anyway - good on him. By the end, he'll have seen loads and loads of classics - vintage and contemporary. (Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob)

* The gathering of Leonardo DiCaprio's Top Five films isn't something that should be too terribly difficult (only about eight should be in contention for most people), but the positioning therein is a toughie. Also led to a nice little discussion in the comments. (Screen Insight)


13 people have chosen wisely: on "The State of the Cabins (4/13/11)"

Jack L said...

I think everything pales in comparison with Black Dynamite...

Anyway that Roald Dahl omnibus is cool, I should get myself one of those. I'm a massive fan of his work, he knew how to write stories kids enjoy, with a bit of violence and a touch of horror and very cleverly written, no over-protective dumbed down stories with him.

Thanks for the link as well, or should it be called a mention, as the link doesn't actually work :)

Fletch said...

@ Jack - You may be right about BD.

It would help if I actually put the link in there, wouldn't it? Fixed.

Nick said...

Thanks for the Link Love, Dylan :P .

And if I keep those Extras and don't lose any of them, it'll be 100 Films/60 Weeks. But only 60 of them are official. The other 40 can be removed at will... so it's still 60/60, because I *have* to see those 60.

Jason Soto said...

I....want to comment on the Undercover Brother thing so badly, but I said my peace on the LAMBcast episode coming up so I won't resay everything. And you're still wrong, Mr. Wrong!

(That should be a Black Dynamite Sequel. Black Dynamite in You're Still Wrong, Mr. Wrong!!)

((Mr. Wrong played by Nicholas Cage of course.))
-Jason

Nick said...

I'm pretty sure there was a Mr. Wrong with Ellen Degeneres and Bill Pullman.

Ryan McNeil said...

K-O-P would happen faster but I've got film festivals to work around over the next little while. Plus it'll give me time to watch all eight films and write sump'n swell for each.

PS - You gonna participate and do a post of your own?

PPS - Thanks for the linkage.

PPPS - There's a rather specific canadianism in Matineecast 32...did you catch it?

Fletch said...

@ Nick - I don't want your excuses. Truth in naming! :P

@ Jason - Please, I'm The Nefarious Mr. Wrong. That's the difference between me and that movie with Ellen.

I'm still trying to figure out what kung fu treachery is...

@ Hat - I'm sure I will. Hell, I've got The Proposal listed on my films to see this year list...

Haven't gotten to #32 just yet. It's on deck, or maybe in the hole, I don't recall.

Reminds me, though...how will Captain America make you feel? ;) Then again, he could be Captain North America...

Ryan McNeil said...

Someone asked me about Cap before (as in, what do I think of it as a comic).

My answer then was what it is now: I like the concept and much of the mythos, but yes, the fact he's a walking talking Ol Glory has always left me at a distance.

Red said...

I've always loved Undercover Brother. Like you said, there is probably too much Kattan, but Griffin and Chappelle play well off each other. This is a movie that knows that it's over the top and silly, but manages to still make it work with the comedic timing of the talents involved.

I find myself quoting this movie more than I should.

Univarn said...

I've been thinking for a while a fun back to back dual feature night would be Black Dynamite and Undercover Brother. Oh Eddie Griffin, may his career rest in piece.

Castor said...

Thanks for the link Fletch! I'm going to give the Hanna soundtrack a try even though I haven't seen the movie yet. Heard so much about it! Any favorite track?

Fletch said...

@ Hatter - Yeah, the more I hear you talk about it, the more I think you're just festering an anti-American sentiment. It's understandable, living so close and hearing about nothing but America, but I think you ought to recognize it as well. I could give a shit if there was some Captain Maple Leaf character, but at the same time, I haven't been pounded over the head with Canadiana my whole life, either. Basically, you should just move to America and nip it all in the bud.

@ Red - I think, had you seen UB today for the first time, you'd be in my shoes. I can understand the nine-years-younger version of you digging it back then, but it's really not a very good movie.

@ Univarn - Just watch UB first. Appetizer before the main course.

@ Castor - Um, my favorite is the one I embedded in this here post :D ("the devil is in the details"). "container park" is #2.

Ryan McNeil said...

@ Fletch... I'm just fine up here thanks.