Featured Posts

Feb 23, 2011

The State of the Cabins (2/23/11)

Movies watched for the first time (non-theatrically) since last week:

A Town Called Panic
This is one of those movies where the person who has seen and loved it just says "See this! It's awesome!," and you have to take their word for it, because the more they might try to tell you about it, the less likely you are to find their description enticing.


I'll just give you the basics: it's Flemish, it's in French with subtitles, it came out last year, and it's so absurd that it's hilarious in any language. See it (and thanks to Scott of FMD and Hatter for the strong recommends)!

Fletch's Film Rating:
Expectation:
"It's in the hole!"
Reality:
"It's in the hole!"
LAMBScore:
Large Association of Movie Blogs

Black Dynamite
Speaking of being told about movies...the interwebs were abuzz with Dynomite (!) fever for months after the release of Black Dynamite, and for damn good reason. As it turns out, all of my anticipation and giddiness over Machete was spent on the wrong movie.

Dynamite is everything that Bob Rodriguez set out to make, only Dynamite director Scott Sanders and star Michael Jai White did it a hell of a lot better, perfectly blending the blaxploitation films of the 70s with chopsocky kung fu flicks, then throwing the thickest afro sheens of parody and - more importantly - love that they could find. Dynamite is made with a fondness for the films of decades ago that shines brightly through.


And the best part - even if you don't get all of the references to films from yesteryear or hallmarks of said films (i.e. boom mics entering into the frame), it's still a damn fine and funny action flick.

Bonuses: Arsenio - I missed you! Also, BD is wise enough not to overstay its welcome, clocking in at just 84 minutes.

Fletch's Film Rating:
Expectation:
"It's in the hole!"
Reality:
"You're the best...around!"
LAMBScore:
Large Association of Movie Blogs

Music I'm currently obsessed with:
* I've been in an Amelie mood again lately. I tell ya - if that "Valse d'Amelie" gets in my head for whatever reason, it's days before it's getting out.

I really need to buy (and fall in love with) some new music.

Book I'm currently reading:
* Nothing! I think I'll start up the fourth book in the Camel Club series by David Baldacci here pretty soon, and I'd also like to read One Day before I hear anything further about the film. Finished Manhood for Amateurs by Michael Chabon and, as I've said the last few weeks, was mostly put off by it. Smart guy, tapped into the themes and currents of our times, but his writing style is too sappy and not nearly humorous enough for me.

Things to Click On
Howsabout just some general shoutouts to the sites I've added to my regular reading in the last couple months:

* The Smoking Pen

* Darkmatters

* The Ramblings of a Minnesota Geek

* The Audient

* Pompous Film Snob

* Net-flixation

* Jack L. film reviews


9 people have chosen wisely: on "The State of the Cabins (2/23/11)"

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you finally got around to checking out that Biblical piece of work.

Not a week goes by now that I don't drop down some line from the "Black Dynamite" vernacular.

Jason Soto said...

James-Next time we do a LAMBcast together, you gotta give me some lines from "Black Dynamite". Just picturing it is giving me giggle fits.

Dylan-About fuckin' time, man! I LOVE Black Dynamite! My favorite scene has to be when they come to the conclusion that the drink makes people's dicks small. It's a great scene.
-Jason

Andrew Simon said...

Thanks for the shout out, Fletch!

And great review for BLACK DYNAMITE, and great timing to boot! I plan on hitting that up for OMENS before the month end, and your review has only encouraged me to do so.

Cheers!

Jack L said...

I LOVE Black Dynamite, it's everything Machete should have been!
I do regret watching it with my younger siblings though, now the conversation around the house is full of quotes from the film...
I particularly enjoyed the attack of Kung Fu island and fiendish Dr. Wu, hilarious.

Looks like I'll have to see A Town Called Panic (or rather Panic In The Village).

Thanks for the mention, I really appreciate it!

Univarn said...

I was going to write a comment about Black Dynamite, but it would seem Jack L and Jason said everything I would so I shall only add a simple "what they said" and go on about the post.

I still need to see A Town Call Panic. Have heard lots of good things but never gotten it all there to see it through.

Fletch said...

James - I'm glad, too. It had a lot of hype to live up to but did it. For Jason's request, I think you should do the Euphoria line..

Jason - Yeah, that whole scene is fucking awesome. Great juxtaposition. Now, who makes M & Ms? That's right, Mars...

And I'm dying to hear James drop some lines from it, too.

Andy - sweet. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. And my pleasure!

Jack - Never them let say that the French aren't liberal. Aren't you 17? How old are your younger siblings? That movie is NOT for kids! ;)

Yes, let me know what you think of Panic. I'm hooked.

Univarn - I'll be shocked if you don't love Panic. Seems right up your alley.

Castor said...

Glad you enjoyed Black Dynamite Fletch "because donuts don't wear alligator shoes."

Andrew Simon said...

You were all right: BLACK DYNAMITE was above and beyond hilarious and awesome.

Among the few bazillion great quotes in the flick, I think my favorite was when he fought Dr. Wu and that boomerang thingy sliced off Wu's hand and BD yells in triumph, "Haha! I threw that shit before I walked in the room!" Oh, my girlfriend is gonna hate me for quoting this movie all weekend long.

Now I need to buy it, bring it to college, and show it to my friends (I've already forced TROLL 2 upon them, and they're still talking to me, so I wager they'll think likewise).

Fletch said...

Castor - lol. Indeed they don't.

Andy - My early favorite is the out-of-nowhere "STFU Euphoria!!" line and subsequent awkward pause. Kills me.