Featured Posts

Oct 1, 2010

TGITDNMAR (10/1/10)

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

It's been three weeks since I did one of these! I'm terrible - though at least the 30 crazy days were here to keep you company. Sadly, I don't have all that much to say about the films below; well, I do about one since I already saw it, but you'll just have to wait for that...

The Social Network
Just came back from this. I'll say this much: I don't get all the "Five stars!" business, but it's a compelling, funny, intensely interesting film, with a whole lot going for it. I'm thrilled to say that Fincher is back in my good graces.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 100%

Case 39
I've been waiting FOUR years for this bad boy to come out! Ok, that's not true at all. I mean, the filmmakers have been waiting that long for a theatrical U.S. release of this Renee Squinchyface and Bradley Cooper-starring horror flick, but they just might be the only ones.

As you might recall, I said some nice-ish things about this during a recent Trailer Talk segment on a LAMBcast, but...yeah, I ain't gonna be seeing it (at least not in the theater).
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 3%

Let Me In
Further proof that I just can't be satisfied: I'd like to say that I'm pretty pleased with the near-universal acclaim for this redux of Let the Right One In. But alas, I can not do that. While on the one hand it's a good thing that it's not yet another rushed and crappy re-do of a beloved foreign/small film...the other hand is saying this: If this one is indeed good and becomes known as a "good film," that decreases the likelihood of people who haven't seen the original from visiting it. And that is a bad thing. It's almost better to wish for crappy remakes so us enlightened folks can point to it and say "See, I told you so!" We might not get our chance here.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 85%


6 people have chosen wisely: on "TGITDNMAR (10/1/10)"

Yong said...

I too wish Let Me In is crappy so people will watch the original, but it seems like its been getting a good buzz.

blakecgriffin said...

Don't understand the five stars nonsense?! I gave it a perfect score, and feel it's justified, but I'm too close to the viewing to separate myself emotionally.

I saw Let Me In today. I was hoping it wouldn't be any good. It was. And am bummed for the reasons you mentioned.

Unknown said...

I saw the social network last night. Full of irony, humor, moral ambiguity, and the relentless intensity, the network captures the media age, an age where people are removed and connected, and is an important film for our generation.
Canada Drugs

Nick said...

Wow... people complain about crappy remakes and wish they'd just get it right. Now they're making good remakes, and people are wishing it'd be crappy...

The Taxi Driver said...

Flecth I appreciate your logic and see where you are comping from but I can't fully agree with it. I think people are more likely to see an original if the remake is good than if it is bad. It's a case of: "Oh man that was good, I wonder what the original is like." I can't seem too many people saying "Oh man that one sucked, let's go check out the other one instead."

It's kind of like the argument that when film started to become popular that it would ruin theater, whereas quite the oposite was true in that it revitalized theater and seperated it as a special medium with it's own distinct techniques. A good movie version of a play does make one give up on the theater but persuades on to invest in it instead. I think it could be the same with this. However, like your feelings on the Social Network, I don't think the original is anything more special than good so I don't really care if it's remade or not.

Fletch said...

Yong - thanks for visiting! Well, we win some and we lose some.

Blake - I might be too close to the viewing of The Social Network as well, but keep in mind that I'm pretty stingy with doling out my five stars. It's a very good film, I just don't feel like it was groundbreakingly good or anything.

canada - Are Candian drugs better than those from other countries?

Nick - Well, I did say that it was further proof that I could never be satisfied. I am a pessimist, after all...

Mike - I guess I'm looking at it from the standpoint of, if people see the remake first and like it, they are more likely to not be impressed by the original. I care more about the people that saw the original and loved it, and the implications that the remake would have to them, than to the people that see the remake first.