Let's go on a mystical journey together. On this trip down memory lane, I will recount some of the many, many things that have taken place over the years spanned in the Harry Potter series. Having not read the books, events from Book Seven will not be included. Away we go...(many spoilers abound, as if you care if you haven't seen the flicks by now):
* A (giant) troll is let loose onto the grounds during Halloween, endangering the lives of untold students, but specifically three.
* The Defense of the Dark Arts teacher turns out to be hiding a mass-murderer in the back of his head.
Chamber of Secrets
* Several students (and even a ghost) are found to be "petrified" (turned to stone) by a large snake roaming the grounds of Hogwarts.
Prisoner of Azkaban
* A student is attacked (albeit deservedly so) by a giant bird/horse thing.
Goblet of Fire
* Enemies of the protagonists attack and terrorize many a Hogwarts student (and their families) at a Quidditch World Cup thing.
* Barty Crouch, Sr. is killed during his stay at Hogwarts.
* A student is killed in the midst of a school-sanctioned scavenger hunt (of sorts).
Order of the Phoenix
* Corporal punishment is introduced at Hogwarts as a reasonable means of discipline.
Okay, I think you get the point. My question is quite simple: How in the hell are there any remaining students at Hogwarts (parentless Harry notwithstanding)? What kind of awful people would send their kids to this dungeon of pain and, quite possibly, death?