Featured Posts

Apr 7, 2010

Dudes of the 80s Tournament - Round 1: Andrew McCarthy (3) vs River Phoenix (6)

Previous results: Man vs. Child - who do you think won? Denzel doubled up Corey Haim, 16-8. Click here to view the updated full bracket.

Andrew McCarthy


80s Highlights: St. Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink, Mannequin, Weekend at Bernie's

River Phoenix


80s Highlights: Stand By Me, Explorers, A Night in the Life of Jimmy Reardon, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade


9 people have chosen wisely: on "Dudes of the 80s Tournament - Round 1: Andrew McCarthy (3) vs River Phoenix (6)"

Alex said...

Ugh I hate Andrew McCarthy- I'll never forgive him for taking Molly Ringwald away from Jon Cryer in Pretty in Pink! And he's got nothing on River Phoenix, that's for sure.

ps I'm really enjoying these tournaments

Fletch said...

Alex - thanks!

The early returns say River Phoenix was vastly underseeded and/or McCarthy was overseeded. Will be interesting to see how this one shakes out...

Rachel said...

River all the way! I had his posters all over the walls and actually cried when he died. (In my defense I was 11 and it was the first time one of my favorite actors died, and so freaking young too.)

And I'm with Alex: these tournaments are awesome!

Unknown said...

This is an easy one: Phoenix has the better resume and was a better actor.

Reel Whore said...

Love me some Mannequin. It was always b/c of Meshach Taylor and Kim Cattrall more so than McCarthy. You sir, lose to River Phoenix!

Maybe I missed this since I'm late to the tourney, but how did Kim Cattrall NOT make the Ladies of the 80s list? Police Academy, Big Trouble in Little China, Porky's and Mannequin! I'm just saying.

Nick said...

River all the way.

Univarn said...

You know I once dated a girl who had a major crush on Andrew McCarthy (she still does last I checked). That should have been a clue it wasn't going to last.

Phoenix wins hands down. His performance in Stand by Me, priceless.

Mrs Fletch said...

C'mon people, Andrew is just so darned cute!

Fletch said...

Rachel - thanks as well. These are fun, indeed, even for me.

J.D. - Phoenix has the better resume if you're looking for prestige, but not for 80s cheese, which is part of what this competition is all about. I'm surprised to have seen McCarthy get destroyed so much.

RW - I've never liked Kim Catrall. Always thought she was mannish and ugly. Personal bias there...