Featured Posts

Oct 19, 2008

A belated TGITDNMAR

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

W.
Saw this Saturday night; review coming. I'll just say that it celebrificates the geniusity of our current president.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 100%, or equal to the percent of our household that will be doing the happy dance for hours upon Bush's evacuation from office (yes, the dogs and cats will be thrilled, too.)

What Just Happened?
DeNiro. Willis. John Turturro. Stanley Tucci. You'd think this flick would have to be horrible to not have secured a wider release with all those names, but its current 8.4/10 rating on IMDb tells a different story. I've seen the trailer just once and haven't spotted any commercials, so I'm left scratching my head. Sure, Hollywood inside joke films don't typically make a bunch of money, but I'm surely intrigued.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 60%

Max Payne
Finally! The triumphant return of Beau Bridges has arrived! I've been waiting for this day for, jeez, I don't know, never, I guess? Oh, but what's this? A Chris O'Donnell sighting as well? Between those appearances and ones by Nelly Furtado and Ludacris, I just don't know what to do with myself. I guess just skip it altogether. Oh, and have I mentioned that Mark Wahlberg is a great supporting actor but a terrible lead before?
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 10%, but only if I'm really dying to see Constantine again.

The Secret Life of Bees
I've heard that bees are slowly dying in our world and how bad that might be for our ecosystem. Well, someone needs to tell Hollywood this. Or maybe they have, seeing as how bees have dominated the multiplex over the last two decades. The Secret Life of Bees. Bee Movie. Akeelah and the Bee. Ulee's Gold. The Wicker Man. When will it end? And how can I figure out what the next hot animal/insect will be and somehow profit off this? (By the way, it will be aardvarks. You heard it here first.)
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 3%, only because three rhymes with bee.

Sex Drive
I don't know about you, but my favorite part of the Sex Drive trailer isn't the talking Mexican doughnut suit (huh?) or even Seth Green delivering yuks as a postmodern Amish gent but rather the song that plays throughout it. As a part of my community service, I'll save you time and trouble of looking it up and just tell you that it's called "Time to Pretend" by the band MGMT. Video on YouTube here. As for the movie itself - it doesn't look at all groundbreaking, but it looks like a fun time, especially the one being had by James Marsden, who's always seemed a bit uptight to me.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 40%


3 people have chosen wisely: on "A belated TGITDNMAR"

Daniel said...

Look forward to your thoughts on W. I'm one of the few that actually liked it.

Also, I'm steering clear of your Rachel review until I finish my own.

So uh, Max Payne kind of blew up, huh? Submarine level RT rating and all. Fascinating.

Farzan said...

Saw W. Friday night and thought it was pretty good. Brolin did an excellent job in his role.

Unknown said...

18 year old buddy is going to get the life first dating sex experience. I remind my past when I was at the high school. Written well story Should say movies like this do much for the youngsters though we also still rolling back to our younger dates. Saw it on http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com it is the easy way for me. that’s why.