Featured Posts

Aug 7, 2008

Familiar Face - Unknown Name #8 - M.C. Gainey

Call them what you want - character actors, "That Guy(s)," scene stealers - I don't care. This is a regular feature where I spotlight one performer, whether they be longtime veterans like J.K. Simmons or Barry Corbin, or a fresher face just making their way up the stardom ranks. For previous FF-UNs, click here.

Today's Familiar Face-Unknown Name:

M.C. Gainey

Where You've Seen Him (high profile): Lost is definitely his highest profile gig. What started as a bit part (bearded and costumed) as Tom Friendly turned into a right-hand-man role to mastermind Ben Linus. Also, played Bill Paxton's bodyguard/friend in the much-maligned Club Dredd and appears to have had a decent role in Wild Hogs (which you ought to know I'll never see). Con Air.

Where You've Seen Him (not-so-high profile): It appears as though Gainey has made friends with Jay Chandrasekhar and the rest of the Super Troopers gang, having appeared not only in Dredd but also in Beerfest, in a short-yet-memorable role as a rogue priest and in the Chandrasekhar-directed The Dukes of Hazzard (as Sheriff Rosco P. Coltrane, no less). Started his career working on numerous 80s TV shows in bit parts, from The A*Team to Happy Days to Simon and Simon.

Character Specialties: Bikers. Tough guys. Tough but nice guys. Tough yet deceivingly nice guys. Can you tell he's got a great smile and - no pun intended - friendly face? Love this quote by him (from IMDb):

"With a face like this, there aren't a lot of lawyers or priest roles coming my way. I've gotta face that was meant for a mug shot and that's what I've been doing for the past thirty years. If I play a cop, it's always a racist cop, or a trigger-happy cop or a crooked cop - but by and large I play cowboys, bikers, and convicts."

My favorite role: I'm really not that big a fan of the movie, and his role is pretty damn small, but I love seeing him in Beerfest. There he is - drinking, playing poker, threatening the life and/or testicles of one of the leads when, lo and behold, we learn that he's a priest and they're both late for the funeral that Gainey is administering. Short but sweet.

Little Known Facts: Ironic that he played Rosco in The Dukes of Hazzard, as he had a small role in a 1982 episode of the original show.

Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MC_Gainey
On IMDb: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0301370/


10 people have chosen wisely: on "Familiar Face - Unknown Name #8 - M.C. Gainey"

Graham said...

I didn't think he looked familiar. Then I read on: I haven't seen a single movie you mentioned. And I doubt I'd recognize him from reruns of Happy Days.

Anonymous said...

The pic with the glasses makes him look like Philip Seymour Hoffman. That's actually who I thought it was at first glance. Was wondering why you'd have PSH as a FFUK.

Fletch said...

Freudian slip? FF-UN, not FFUK. ;)

He'd need to be about 12 shades whiter to really resemble Hoffman. That dood's whiter than a sheet of paper.

Graham - it's not too late to start watching Lost...

Nick said...

Yeah, I liked him on LOST.

Anonymous said...

He was/is pretty good in Lost.

Reel Whore said...

I swear, your That Guys are like a window into the favorite actors section of my brain. His Beerfest role was sweet. I always remember his dirty cop role in The Cooler, small but memorable. I also enjoyed him on Brisco County where he played, ironically, a good and a bad guy.

Do you remember seeing ALOT of him in Sideways?

Fletch said...

Wayne - What can I say - you have excellent taste then!

Since I'm a fan of Payne's and generally like everyone in it, I have no excuse for still having not seen Sideways except for perhaps the fact that it's kind of about wine, which I have zero interest in. Still, I should see it. I'll just have to close my eyes when MC comes onscreen, I suppose...

Funny that you mention that and The Cooler though, as that's the movie where we see way too much of Bill Macy.

Reel Whore said...

That's right Macy & MC and the bits...we all know where my mind lingers.

Sideways is worth it for Thomas Haden Church.

Daniel said...

He didn't jump out at me as a recognizable face (I haven't seen "Lost"...yeah, that's what I said), but "Con Air" was what did it. Great role.

Anonymous said...

Gainey is the SHIT! It is so easy to miss him in movies because he can look so different. It took me 2-3 times of seeing him in Beerfest before I knew it was him. Loved him in LOST and Con-Air!