Featured Posts

Apr 30, 2008

Summer of LAMB

So that the rest of the LAMBs can't call me a cheater in regards to the box office prediction contest, here's my prognostications for the summer movie season:

1. Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - $385M
2. Wall*E - $310M
3. The Dark Knight - $295M
4. Iron Man - $260M
5. Hancock - $245M
6. Kung Fu Panda - $200M
7. The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian - $185M
8. Speed Racer - $165M
9. Get Smart - $150M
10. Pineapple Express - $145M

Also rans: The Incredible Hulk, Hellboy II, Tropic Thunder

Guaranteed Flop: The Love Guru - years away from the multiplex (in person, at least) and this is what Mike Myers has for us? Second choice for a flop is Sandler's You Don't Mess With the Zohan.

Rip Van Winkle Hit (sleeper): The Happening. A comeback for Night? Possibly...

3 Movies I'm Most Looking Forward To:

* The Dark Knight. Can Nolan catch lightning in a bottle twice? Will Ledger blow us away as expected? Will this round of Batmans fall prey to the same disease as the last (and most other superhero franchises) - namely, the inability of the producers to keep from tossing more and more people into the mix? I want the answers to those questions.

* Indiana Jones... I've tried not to get excited or have much of any expectations for it, but after nearly 20 years, it's definitely higher up on my "want to see" list than most any other summer flick, regardless of how good they might look.

* Hancock - I'm intrigued. To date, I've only seen the one trailer, but it's hard to go wrong with Smith as a July lead, and Jason Bateman livens things up.

3 Movies I'm Not Looking Forward To At All:

* Wanted - This couldn't look much worse. Morgan Freeman needs to get out of the "mentor" role asap (or the cousin to that, the mentor-who-turns-out-to-be-evil), and he needs to give Liam Neeson the same advice. And Jeremy Irons. Maybe the three should star in a movie where they mentor each other, then all turn on each other. That actually sounds like a lot of fun. Also a problem with Wanted: looks aside, doesn't Angie Jolie seem a bit old for McAvoy? I know if the genders were flopped no one would bat an eye (and that's unfortunate), and maybe it's cause McAvoy looks like he's 21, but they just seem like such a terrible romantic pairing.

* The Incredible Hulk - Why Ed, why? Every time I see Hulky and the evil Hulk "played" by Tim Roth, I can't help but think of The League of Extraordinary Gentleman, and that's never a good sign.

* Speed Racer - Never watched the show. The movie looks like it might be fun (or horrifying) on an acid trip, but that's about it. Perhaps I would have a different opinion if I were 10 years old.


5 people have chosen wisely: on "Summer of LAMB"

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure who the audience is supposed to be for Speed Racer. I mean, fans of the show are much older now, but the movie is made like a kids' film. I'd be more interested if it didn't feel so much like a Dr. Seuss adaptation.

I'm hoping Hulk can deliver, but I too don't hold too much hope. I was a fan of Ang Lee's film, and while I like Norton, and he's probably a better nerd-turned-beast than Bana, the rest of the cast feels like second-stringers (despite my respect for Roth). It's like when Capote came out, and then you had that other version with Sandra Bullock. It's like "Sandra Bullock's okay, but Catherine Keener's better." In that same vein, Liv Tyler's okay, but she's no Jennifer Connelly, whether it's looks or acting.

I should consider entering this contest, see how badly I do...

Fletch said...

I love your comments on the Hulk. I couldn't agree more.

Yea, join the contest. It's not like you have anything to lose...

Marcy said...

Speed Racer seems like an attempt to bring some nostalgia on-screen, but it's also trying to attract the little kids with its freakishly bright colors. Emile Hirsch and Christina Ricci are great actors but I just don't understand why they would do this movie, unless it's some real quality.

The Incredible Hulk looks like it will receive a better reception this time around but...why does the Hulk looks EXACTLY the same as the one before? It doesn't seem like they bothered to make any CGI improvements at all. But Norton is a fine actor so, who knows?

I'm totally psyched for The Dark Knight. Not just because I loved Batman Begins, but wow...the cast is so FANTASTIC that I still can't quite grasp the fact that it's really a comic book movie.

I still don't get the hype for WALL-E. It looks cute, but other than that, not much. I think Tropic Thunder will do better than Get Smart, but other than that, great list. I wish you the best of luck for the contest! (I might go ahead and enter it as well.)

Fletch said...

That is a very good point about The Dark Knight. For the most part, their cast is made up of highly respected actors (probably even more so with Holmes' departure).

Yes, enter the contest. Become a LAMB, too - I see that a number of the sites on your blogroll already are (Joe's Movie Corner, Fataculture, Cinematic Passions, etc).

Thanks for stopping by.

Anil Usumezbas said...

I agree your comments on Dark Knight and Indiana Jones wholeheartedly Fletch. I just realized that I started building up hopes that The Dark Knight will be even better than the first Tİm Burton Batman. Also hopeful about Heath Ledger - and I thought Jack Nicholson's joker was beyond comparison :)

I am a little more optimistic on Speed Racer though - it definitely has the feel for an entertaining summer blockbuster. Somehow I am attracted to the bright colors and videogame-like action sequences but still a shitty story or cheesy lines would ruin it for me.

We'll see how it goes.