Featured Posts

Aug 15, 2007

Voting time again...

Thanks to all who voted in the "pick your favorite Simpson" poll. Homer was the runaway winner with 45% of the vote, followed by a four-way tie between Bart, Lisa, Jessica and OJ (10% each) for second.

Well, we're a little more than halfway through with August. Thank god for that. Now, let's set our sights on the fall movie season. I've listed some of the high-profile films hitting theaters over the next few months - let's see which one you're anticipating most. Also, this is my first go with Blogger's poll widget - let me know if you run into any problems.

The choices:

Beowulf - the latest from Robert Zemekis features Angelina Jolie, Anthony Hopkins, John Malkovich and some weird yet interesting computer animation (think The Polar Express).

I Am Legend - Will Smith, a dog, and no one else on the planet. Or maybe some zombies. Ooohhh, scary.

The Kingdom - long delayed actioner featuring Jamie Foxx, Hilary Swank, Chris Cooper and some pissed off Iraqis. Something like that. May be good, but prospects are low considering the delayed release.

3:10 To Yuma - Bale. Crowe. Western. Love the title, love the poster - from the trailer, the rest doesn't look all that great to me, but I'm sure I'll give it a shot.

Sweeney Todd - Here we go again: Burton. Depp. Yep, that's enough.

American Gangster - Crowe is back with Gladiator director Ridley Scott and teaming up with Denzel Washington for a 70s gangster flick. This has a 95% chance of being an absolute critical and commercial hit, with a 5% chance of bombing spectacularly.

Across the Universe - this Beatles-inspired tale of love in the 60s and 70s has also been delayed, but it looks pretty interesting judging by the trailer. At worst, it can't be as bad as Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club, right?

The Golden Compass - this looks like Stardust all over again to me, but I think there's a following for it.

The Darjeeling Limited - this is most likely my choice. Wes Anderson's latest (Rushmore, The Royal Tenenbaums) features Anderson regulars Jason Schwartzman, Bill Murray, Owen Wilson and Angelica Huston, but also introduces Adrien Brody, Natalie Portman and Fletch favorite Irfan Khan (The Namesake, A Mighty Heart) to the club. God yes.

Elizabeth: The Golden Age - a sequel to Elizabeth?!? Though I'll admit I haven't seen the first, it's on the "see soon" list and this one looks pretty sweet. Cate Blanchett, Geoffrey Rush, Clive Owen and Samantha Morton star. Expect a third as well from what I hear.


3 people have chosen wisely: on "Voting time again..."

Desmond said...

I was already looking forward to Across the Universe. Sweeney Todd and I Am Legend sound interesting too. Thanks for the scoop, brotha.

Matt said...

I'm intrigued by I am Legend, largely because I have no idea what the name is supposed to mean. But I also like the way Nicole Kidman looks in The Golden Compass. I just hope it's better than the Potter movies.

Ms. Go said...

Stardust ALL OVER AGAIN?!

Yes, there's a following and I'm a part of it.

Imagine Harry Potter with more depth, allegory, and literacy-cred.

That's The Golden Compass.

...Yeah, read the books.