Featured Posts

Apr 8, 2011

Ladies of the 90s Tournament - Round 1: Winona Ryder (2) vs. Sarah Michelle Gellar (7)

Previous results: Cameron Diaz sent Jenny...wait for it....wait for it...back to the block, trouncing her 19-5. I fully expect another beatdown today, but we've got to get through these mismatches somehow. Expect a much tighter matchup for tomorrow's through-the-weekend showdown. Click here to view the updated full bracket.

Winona Ryder


Comments: Tim Burton's (first) muse. Johnny Depp's would-be soulmate. America's sweetheart...well, until she got caught shoplifting. Then her career pretty much evaporated for a few years. But man, was she hot stuff through the 90s or what?
90s Highlights: Edward Scissorhands, Dracula, Reality Bites, Girl, Interrupted

Sarah Michelle Gellar


Comments: Sure, she's known much more for Buffy than for anything else (to this day), but Gellar had herself a Jennifer Love Hewitt-like film career in the 90s, even starring in the same slasher flick as her buxom friend. She also had a pivotal role (I think) in the Scream sequel, played the vixen opposite Reese Witherspoon, and in her best performance, voiced the Gwendy Doll in the long-forgotten Small Soldiers.
90s Highlights: I Know What You Did Last Summer, Cruel Intentions, Scream 2



16 people have chosen wisely: on "Ladies of the 90s Tournament - Round 1: Winona Ryder (2) vs. Sarah Michelle Gellar (7)"

blake said...

FIRST

Both of these ladies are so 90s. Picked Ryder because, well, because she's not Sarah Michelle Gellar

Castor said...

Looks like I'm the only one who voted SMG so far...

Anonymous said...

Hey, you forgot about Alien: Resurrection for Ryder!

Because of that, I've gotta vote for SMG.

Fletch said...

Can't believe it's currently 7-5 in favor of Ryder - I thought she'd do much better. Not only do I absolutely dig her, but I'm on record as thinking Gellar a bit of a butterface.

Nic Cage said...

Ryder for the overalls alone! It only takes one movie for my vote...Dracula.

Frankly, My Dear said...

What a horrible horrible choice you are forcing me to make. Buffy versus Noni? It's impossible! I'll go with Noni for the haircut and the stealing.

Nick said...

I know it's "cheating," but when you ask for 90s relevance and then put SMG on the list, I have to take Buffy into account, regardless that it's not movie-related (besides the fact it was a movie first, but that one wasn't SMG). In that instance, I *have* to vote SMG. But I do agree if you look at film roles only, Winona wins it hands down.

Alex said...

Every time I watch a Winona Ryder movie I get a new crush on her. She makes me wish I was a teen/twentysomething in the 90s.

And while Buffy was a great show, I've never really loved Sarah Michelle Gellar.

jessica said...

SMG ALL THE WAY BTVS IS AND WILL ALWAYS BE MY FAV TV SHOW!!!!!! SMG is smart, funny, very professional, and an amazing actress!!!!!

Jack L said...

Damn, Winona Ryder deserves to win this one easy, I doubt she will though...

Fletch said...

@ Nic Cage - Exactly. That overall pic...

@ FMD - It's possible, and you made the right choice.

@ Nick - Cheater.

@ Alex - I know what you mean. She's just so adorable!

@ jessica - Well, I appreciate the votes and your enthusiasm, but this is supposed to only take movies into account, therefore Buffy shouldn't be taken into consideration. But as Nick said above, some are finding that difficult, which I understand to a degree. I look forward to seeing you and the troops for SMG's next matchup, which will be against Uma Thurman.

@ Jack - Nope. Word got out online to some big-time SMG fans, so this one's all over now. We do have a new high for votes in these round one matchups, though...

The Film Cynics said...

SMG didn't really come into her own until the next decade, and even then... Winona should be tossing all these other ladies out on their asses. The 90s are the explanation for her fame, and perhaps vice versa.

StuartOhQueue said...

Buffy wins, of course. I have a soft spot for Wino but there's simply no way she can contend with Slayer skills.

Alex said...

Ugh this is stupid. Winona Ryder is the main person I was planning to support through this whole tournament! She's like the epitome of a smart, sassy 90's young woman.

SMG was lucky to be on a great tv show, I guess, or this would be no contest. Overzealous Joss Whedon fans...

Nic Cage said...

You know what this means now don't you?

SMG is going to win this whole thing due to the fan site...so sad.

Same thing happened with your Greatest Villan bracket with Vincent D'Onofrio.

Fletch said...

@ Steve - I completely agree. Winona be taking out the trash! Or not...

@ Stuart - But TV shouldn't come into consideration! Either way...haha..."Wino."

@ Alex - Me, too. I had Ryder as the favorite to sneak through and win it all.

@ Nic Cage - Well, we'll see. It'll be a while until the next poll with SMG in it, and if the populace thinks I need to shut it down for accuracy's sake, I will.