Featured Posts

Jan 14, 2011

TGITDNMAR (1/14/11)

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

Nice that I get to ease back into this, what with it being a) January and b) there only being two major releases today.

The Green Hornet
Reports of this being the flop it looked like appear to have been exaggerated. I haven't read a full review, but the snippets I've seen about the internet make it out to be a somewhat fun, somewhat dumb ride, full of Michel Gondry silliness. I guess this is the best possible scenario. This always seemed a strange franchise for Gondry to be attached to in the first place, his pairing with Seth Rogen even stranger, and the fact that Rogen and his buddy Evan Goldberg wrote it all the more strange.

I'm interested because I love Gondry's work and I'm curious to see Christoph Waltz in his first American flick post-Basterds, but probably not enough to get me into the theater, at least not at this time of year, what with Academy Award catch-up taking precedence.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 27%

The Dilemma
If you go to the theater to see this movie for any other reason aside from maybe "I needed a Jennifer Connelly fix real bad!!," there's a good chance I will lose respect for you. Plain and simple, and as snobby as that might make me sound. You can't even employ the same line towards Winona Ryder or even Channing Tatum, since Winona can be see currently in Black Swan, and Channing can be seen in other pieces of crap that are somehow sure to be better than this one.

What the hell, Ron Howard? How did you come to direct a film that clearly has "Directed by Dennis Dugan" written all over it?
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 0%


0 people have chosen wisely: on "TGITDNMAR (1/14/11)"