Featured Posts

May 6, 2010

The State of the Cabins (5/6/10)

What with the Dudes and Ladies tournaments going on here for the past few weeks, it's been pretty busy. So much so, that I totally forgot to put up The State yesterday. Better late than never.

Movies watched for the first time (non-theatrically) since last week:
Fred Claus. Wow - I knew this would be bad, but I didn't it would be nearly as bad as it was. Congrats, Vaughn - you made two terrible Christmas movies in consecutive years and have effectively sabotaged your career. What happened to the guy that took some chances early in his career? True, Clay Pigeons and Domestic Disturbance weren't exactly hits, but c'mon guy - all you do is make the same movie anymore.

As for Fred, whoever made it just must have figured that if they threw enough big names into a pot (Rachel Weisz! Kevin Spacey! Paul Giamatti!) that they'd come up with something good. Not so. At least Elisabeth Banks looked nice.

Music I'm currently obsessed with:
This song:




I wanna be able to play piano like that. Either way, I can't stop bouncing to the beat. It's off of Physical Graffiti, in case you're interested.

Book I'm currently reading:
Still limping through Malcolm Gladwell's The Tipping Point - ought to have it finished by next week. No, I haven't exactly been devoting a ton of time to it. That's not necessarily a value judgement - I am indeed finding it interesting (and it makes me think about the LAMB a lot), but it's just not a fast read.


3 people have chosen wisely: on "The State of the Cabins (5/6/10)"

simoncolumb said...

I was at my sisters house and she - to some extent - forced me to watch Fred Claus (on blu ray! ...) and, yes, it is absolutely awful.

The special effects are just ... weird. All the faces are all stuck onto kids bodies and looks messed up.

On blu-ray, it looks even more clearly shit. "shining a turd" some might say.

Simon
www.screeninsight.com

Ryan McNeil said...

OK, I know I've been distracted watching docs an awful lot lately...but it is still May right??

Whatchadoin' watching a Christmas movie in late spring??

Castor said...

Never watched Fred Claus but I just might someday because of Elizabeth Banks!