Featured Posts

Jan 8, 2010

TGITDNMAR (1/8/10)

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

After a two-week holiday break, the eternal favorite returns!

Daybreakers
This movie could have easily had me as an audience member, but it's really trying not to.

I saw the trailer once. Started off thinking, "Christ on a stick - another damn vampire movie?!?!? I am vampired the eff out." Then it went along...starring Ethan Hawke, Willem Dafoe, and Sam Neill. Ok, we're getting somewhere. Then the plot starts to unfold: earth is inhabited almost completely by vampires...very few humans remain. That could make for some good drama and quite the dilemma for the bloodsuckers. An interesting take on the apocalypse film, with the added bonus of it being set in the future (albeit barely - 2017).

Then I see posters like this and completely lose interest. Does it have to be a blood/gorefest merely because it's a vampire film? (The answer to that is no. See: Let the Right One In.). Booo-ring.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 41%

Youth in Revolt
I've heard wildly conflicting reports on Revolt at this early stage. Of course, there are those that have already proclaimed that Cera is one again playing Cera (this is apparently the new version of "Manny being Manny"). But then I'm listening to the Row Three podcast and Matt Gamble (of LAMB site Where the Long Tail Ends) proclaims it to be one of his favorite recent flicks and calls it a scathing look at the modern teenager (I may be paraphrasing).

To boot, it has a laundry list of Actors I Like/Love™, from Cera to Steve Buscemi to Justin Long to Fletch vet M. Emmett Walsh to Zach Galfanakis, with Fred Willard to boot.

Color me perplexed. Considering the fact that Mrs. Fletch and I have seen just about everything out that we want to see, I'm adjusting the percentage for this one accordingly.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 63%

Leap Year
The uber-generic title of this rom-com can't help but remind me of this hilarious faux-trailer that was shared with me recently. I have yet to even see a commercial or trailer for Leap, and I'm guessing it can't be possibly that bad, but they certainly aren't doing themselves any favors with that name or that bland poster.

On the bright side, if you were told only the three main leads, you might think this was a flick worth seeing (Amy Adams, Matthew Goode, and Adam Scott). Hell, I'm almost tempted to see it solely for the hilarious Scott (Step Brothers, Party Down). We'll see...
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 28%


2 people have chosen wisely: on "TGITDNMAR (1/8/10)"

Nick said...

I've been pretty excited for Daybreakers for a while. I'm gonna go see it tonight, most likely. But Up In The Air also came out here this weekend, so I'll be seeing that this weekend, as well.

Unfortunately, Youth in Revolt didn't come out here, which confused me and pissed me off, because I've been waiting for this movie *forever*.

xTJMac510x said...

As for Daybreakers I am actually really excited for it. Its gotten pretty good reviews around where I live and Richard Roeper gave it a really good score. I know there are thousands of vampire movies nowadays with only a handful actually being good (Let the Right one In) but this one seems to have a good mix of dark humor, violence and sci fi to make it interesting.

As for the poster-they explain it in the movie (if they don't drink blood they turn into bat creatures)

Leap year wise-its a romantic comedy...in DUBLIN!! That's it.