Featured Posts

Dec 21, 2009

The Really Drawn-out Blog Cabins Decennial Spectacular: Some Opening Words and the #10

Decennial, in case you're not hip to the term, means 1. relating to or lasting for ten years, or 2. occuring every ten years. It's really a word that we should hear more often. Anyway, this will be my series where I count down my favorites from the last decade, and since I don't plan on it taking 10 years to finish, we're going to go with the second definition. Be sure to come back in ~3654 days for the next installment - it's gonna be off the chain hand to the elbow crizwhack (insert somewhat outdated slang term of 2019 here).

The year-end spectacular for 2009 will be hitting the interwebs in mid- to late-January, but this decennial will be broken down and laid out for your viewing pleasure over the next 10 days, with a post per day, counting down one of the Mystical Magical 10 (aka my Top 10) each day, with Christmas an off-day, only because you'll be too busy drinking Santa Nog and eating Reindeer Droppings to bother reading blogs that day (jerks!). Enough foreplay.

Number 10 on the RD-oBCDS is...

Idiocracy
Mike Judge knows stupid people, and lots of them. So much so, that for his third feature, released in 2006, he dedicated an entire movie to them (debate amongst yourselves whether or not Beavis and Butt-Head Do America already accomplished this). Regularly panned for its apparent lack of a budget and given the shaft by Fox after some test screenings didn't give them the warm fuzzies, the comedy found a cult audience on DVD, a deja vu of what had occured some seven years prior with Office Space.

It mattered not. Judge packed his 84-minute film with over-the-top performances, sight gags, cameos from lovable character actors and quotable lines, and then topped it all off with a prescient, so-true-it-hurts concept that becomes more relevant with each passing day.


5 people have chosen wisely: on "The Really Drawn-out Blog Cabins Decennial Spectacular: Some Opening Words and the #10"

Reel Whore said...

I'm still scratching my head over my Top 10 of the decade. So many choices!

While I enjoy Idiocracy, I don't see it making my list.

Alex said...

Wow, that's a really interesting choice. While it wouldn't be on mine, I definitely see its relevance just for how prescient it is. Any day now I expect to see that "Ow My Balls!" tv show on MTV.

Fletch said...

I almost didn't put it on the list, since there are any number of deserving movies that are much more conventionally better. But I just LOVE Idiocracy so much, and it's just so slyly smart and broadly funny at the same time, and its rewatchability is off the charts. So much stuff going on in the background, little nuances that could keep you busy for hours. If only Extract hadn't been such a letdown.

JLG said...

This movie is genius and it's pretty sad that it's so underrated. It's also a perfect choice for your decennial because in 2019 we will be enjoying shows like Ow My Balls.

blake said...

It's got electrolytes. The stuff that plants crave.

I do quite enjoy this movie. I've seen a few times. It didn't quite make my list.