Featured Posts

Sep 4, 2009

TGITDNMAR (9/4/09)

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

I don't know what it is about taking any sort of time away from a computer that completely kills my blogging motivation, but it seems to be a fact of life, and it takes a good couple of weeks for me to get back in the groove. So please, bear with me as I get my sea legs back. Hopefully, the piling list of movies I'd like to see (Cold Souls, next week's 9, and one below) will help.

Gamer
I am almost totally ambivalent towards Gamer. Gerard Butler, coming off a string of hits, from P.S. I Love You to RockNRolla to The Ugly Truth -- hey, wait a sec, those aren't hits. They're all busts; in fact, just about everything Butler has touched since 300 has been a bust, short of appearing in the Watchmen extra Tales of the Black Freighter. Oh, that's right - Watchmen wasn't even a hit.

And now there's this Running Man-feeling video game/actiony hybrid thing. Meh. At least his next one, Law Abiding Citizen (a Death Wish taken to the extreme) looks interesting.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 36%

Extract
Yes, please!

Even if the "so hot right now" Jason Bateman and Mila Kunis weren't starring (along with faves Clifton Collins, Jr. and J.K. Simmons), I'd be way on board for Mike Judge's latest, the "spiritual sequel" to Office Space. As an ardent Idiocracy lover, I'm almost guaranteed to love it, even if the production values aren't mega-high.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 100%

All About Steve
Am I missing something here? Speaking of hot, The Hangover stars Bradley Cooper and my (seemingly ever-present) buddy Ken Jeong star in this rom-com. And yet, all I've seen for it is a poster outside my local theater. When I did see it, with the "Coming Soon" banner affixed below it, I assumed the flick was coming out in a month or so, not a week or less.

Why is this not being heavily promoted? Or am I becoming increasingly out of touch? This seems to be a trend (see next entry for more evidence).

The only downside here? The presence of "I only star in crappy movies" Sandra Bullock. Otherwise, with Thomas Haden Church, Cooper, Jeong, Keith David and former FF-UN M.C Gainey, I'd be totally psyched.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 41%

Carriers
Hadn't heard of this until 3 days ago. Chris Pine's in it, so that means that you must go see it, apparently. Sounds like a horror flick, and frankly, that's all the research I plan to do on this one until I hear otherwise.
Fletch's Chance of Viewing: 6%


8 people have chosen wisely: on "TGITDNMAR (9/4/09)"

Nick said...

Gamer was decent. Michael C. Hall was excellent in it, though.

I've seen a few trailers for All About Steve, though all in theater. I don't think I've seen any TV spots for it that I can recall. Maybe one or two.

I love the idea of Carriers and hope to see it sometime soon, although it isn't coming here. It seems like it'd be a pretty good horror flick (along the lines of 28 Days Later).

abby said...

It's a horror flick. you will love to see this movie. The movie teaser is very convincing and refreshing too..So watch and download carriers movie here !!

Kano said...

I have not heard of Carriers, nor do I really care to.

I have, however, heard of All About Steve. Although it has been being pushed a lot over the past few weeks. I hadnt heard of it before, but they are pushing it hard right now.

Heather said...

I want to see Gamer just because of Gerard Butler and Michael C. Hall, also I'm a video game junkie so I'm sold, but I'll probably wait for DVD anyway.

I can't do Sandra Bullock and she even annoys me in the previews. I'll have to pass.

Jason Soto said...

You apparently don't watch a lot of TV if you haven't seen any ads for "All About Steve". Every show I watch on every channel, there's at least one commercial for it. Plus every talk show I watch had one of the stars on promoting it. So I pretty much know this entire movie without having seeing it.

If it helps any though, I never heard of "Carriers".
-Jason

Zach Murphy said...

Gamer looks absolutely terrible. After 300, I was expecting Gerard Butler to have a good career in some badass roles, but it's all been crap.


Looking forward to seeing Cold Souls and Extract, though

Shannon the Movie Moxie said...

I'm with you re All About Steve. I saw maybe 2 tv commercials and that is it. Looks pretty dreadful but on the cast along I would have expected more promotions.

Didn't love Gamer, Michael C. Hall is excellent though.

I'm so miffed Carriers didn't come out here in Toronto. It was listed for awhile but then ... nada. le sigh.

Sean Weatherby said...

There's a lot more to this movie than just a video-game action flick for sure... also, Gerard Butler has established yet again that he is a badass no matter what movie he is in