Featured Posts

Nov 3, 2008

The Alphabet Meme

This is awfully similar to the Top 50 Films I posted recently, but this time it's much more about you. Besides, I thought this was a fun idea that could spread like wildfire. Also, I've had it in my drafts for some time now and I wanted to post it before some other wildly clever individual did it and stole all my thunder.

It's a simple concept (my favorite kind) - pick your favorite film for each letter of the alphabet. Some will be tough because there's too many choices (R, S, T, L, N, E...wait a sec - that's Wheel of Fortune) and others will be tough because there are so few choices that you have trouble finding much of anything (Q, anyone?). I'm sure I missed some great ones and I'm hoping that you find them.

The Rules

1. Pick one film to represent each letter of the alphabet.

2. The letter "A" and the word "The" do not count as the beginning of a film's title, unless the film is simply titled A or The, and I don't know of any films with those titles.

3. Return of the Jedi belongs under "R," not "S" as in Star Wars Episode IV: Return of the Jedi. This rule applies to all films in the original Star Wars trilogy; all that followed start with "S." Similarly, Raiders of the Lost Ark belongs under "R," not "I" as in Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark. Conversely, all films in the LOTR series belong under "L" and all films in the Chronicles of Narnia series belong under "C," as that's what those filmmakers called their films from the start. In other words, movies are stuck with the titles their owners gave them at the time of their theatrical release. Use your better judgement to apply the above rule to any series/films not mentioned.

4. Films that start with a number are filed under the first letter of their number's word. 12 Monkeys would be filed under "T."

5. Link back to Blog Cabins in your post so that I can eventually type "alphabet meme" into Google and come up #1, then make a post where I declare that I am the King of Google.

6. If you're selected, you have to then select 5 more people.

Here goes:

Amelie

Big Lebowski, The

Code 46

Dazed and Confused

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Fight Club (it won in a battle royale over Fletch)

Go

Happy Gilmore

Idiocracy

Jackie Brown

Karate Kid, The

Lola Rennt (I'm cheating here, as I had this under "R" originally, but I couldn't toss Raiders)

Matrix, The

Napoleon Dynamite

Office Space

Pulp Fiction

Queen, The (I guess - I couldn't find anything I liked more, really)

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Star Wars

True Romance

Usual Suspects, The

V for Vendetta

White Men Can't Jump

X-Men

You Kill Me

Zoolander


Consider yourself tagged:

Piper at Lazy Eye Theatre
elgringo at He Shot Cyrus
Daniel at Getafilm
Nick at Random Ramblings of a Demented Doorknob
Caitlin at 1,416 and Counting
Rachel at Rachel's Reel Reviews
Jason at Invasion of the B Movies
Evan/Luke at MovieZeal
Paul at Careful With That Blog, Eugene
Becca at No Smoking in the Skullcave
Wayne at Reel Whore
Fox at Tractor Facts
Nayana at The Center Seat
Jess at Insight Into Entertainment
J.D. at Valley Dreamin'

I could easily tag 10 more people, but I've already gone overboard. If you weren't tagged but want to play, feel free - the more the merrier! Good luck. If you need some assistance finding films, I found this website (http://www.mysubtitles.com/index.php) to be useful. It's not perfect in its setup and it's ad-heavy, but at least you can scan films by their beginning letter, which you can't do at IMDb.


35 people have chosen wisely: on "The Alphabet Meme"

Nick said...

Awesome... just did mine, but it won't be posted up until noon tomorrow (central time). So keep an eye out! It was a lot freakin harder than I thought it'd be.

By the way, you tagged a lot of the people I would have tagged -_-.

Wendymoon said...

Great idea, I'm playing along too! Even though I just did my own top 50 list I decided to use all different movies for this one.

Reel Whore said...

Done and done! A few of them were tough to narrow down but I made the hard choices.

It also gave me an idea for my own meme. I'll save it until next week - give folks a chance to recover from this one.

Rachel said...

Mine will be up tomorrow at noon too. Jolly good times.

PIPER said...

I'll get working.

Thanks for the tag.

Fox said...

Fun fun fun! I will be doing this soon and will link back to you.

p.s. Piper is jealous he didn't get to this first so he could get the hits!

Fletch said...

Nick - my eyes are currently peeled and waiting. Sorry I tagged your potential taggers. Get creative!

Glad you're playing, Wendy! For you and anyone else that plays but wasn't tagged above, feel free to post your link here as well.

Rachel - will check it.

Piper - ditto. Piper and Fox - no worries, I'm the ultimate hit whore. Give them all to me! This is my first meme hosting, so Piper's last (12 Movies) was my inspiration. I was green with envy at all his links he was spreading on his bed.

Rachel said...

I got impatient and posted it already Fletch, but back dated it to noon yesterday (I have a weird thing where all my posts have a noon time-stamp, call it slight OCD).

And I've already typed "alphabet meme" in Google and you're already coming up numero uno. Congrats.

Fletch said...

Slight OCD? ;)

You must be using a different Google than me (unless you're maybe searching only blog posts or something funky) - I see me as numero dos. In time...muah ha ha. Long term goal? COme up first when searcing for "alphabet." Haha - as if.

Jess said...

Mine's up too, but strangely dated yesterday...gotta work out the date stamps. Thanks for the tag.

Daniel said...

Does it count as cheating if I copy and paste yours, then make a few edits to make it my own?

Adam Frazier said...

Mine's up!

http://afrazier.blogspot.com/2008/11/alphabet-meme.html

Fletch said...

Daniel - not at all. Go for it.

PIPER said...

Alrighty,

Mine is up and Fox is already jealous of my selections.

Becca said...

Thanks for the tag! I admit it I love memes!

Ed Howard said...

A great idea for a meme, that was fun (though X is way too hard for those who haven't seen the X-Men movies). I posted my list in response.

elgringo said...

WHOO-HOO I got tagged. That makes me a happy, happy blogger.

Dean Treadway said...

I did one, even though I wasn't tagged.

Anonymous said...

Mine is up:

http://ferdyonfilms.com/2008/11/afterlife-1998-an-intriguing-g.php

Rol said...

I did this without reading your list beforehand - then was surprised by how many we had in common.

Lisa Bee said...

This was a great idea. I posted mine a few days ago:

http://horrorhappenings.blogspot.com/2008/11/tagged-alphabet-meme.html

Walaka of Earth 2 said...

Another one, via RAB.

http://walakablog.blogspot.com/2008/11/apparatus-in-meme-time.html

TS said...

Also courtesy of RAB's posting and throwing down the gauntlet:

http://sentientforcefield.blogspot.com/2008/11/alphabet-meme.html

Sea-of-Green said...

Here's yet another one, thanks to Rab. Silent movies, anyone? ;-)

http://hoosierinanity.blogspot.com/2008/11/movie-alphabet-silent-films-to-z.html

Anonymous said...

Fletch, I did something a little different with this on my review site, which is http://usesoapfilm.wordpress.com

if you so choose to use it...

Baal said...

I learned of this from sea of green's great site and did my own list. It's the latest on my blog.

Anonymous said...

Such a great idea ! I don't have any site or weblog, so i'm just posting my list here. Please feel free to erase my comment if you consider it too long.

- l'Atalante (Jean Vigo)
- Bad and the Beautiful, The (Vincente Minnelli)
- Confidential Report a.k.a. Mr. Arkadin (Orson Welles)
- Docks of New York, The (Josef von Sternberg)
- ExistenZ (David Cronenberg)
- Fedora (Billy Wilder)
- Gion ni shimai (Kenji Mizoguchi)
- High Sierra (Raoul Walsh)
- I Walked With a Zombie (Jacques Tourneur)
- Je vous salue, Marie (Jean-Luc Godard)
- Kaze no naka no mendori (Yasujiro Ozu)
- Lusty Men, The (Nicholas Ray)
- Man Hunt (Fritz Lang)
- Notorious (Alfred Hitchcock)
- Ordet (Carl Dreyer)
- Party Girl (Nicholas Ray)
- Queen Kelly (Erich von Stroheim)
- Rio Bravo (Howard Hawks)
- Sunrise (F.W. Murnau)
- To Have and Have Not (Howard Hawks)
- Ukigumo (Mikio Naruse)
- Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock)
- Where the Sidewalk Ends (Otto Preminger)
- Xiao Wu (Jia Zhang-Ke)
- Young Mr. Lincoln (John Ford)
- Zai jian nan kuo, zai jian a.k.a. Goodbye South, Goodbye (Hou Hsiao-hsien)

Ryan Harvey said...

Mine at:

http://realmofryan.blogspot.com/2008/11/alphabet-movie-meme.html

Anonymous said...

Babeled has completed the Alphabet Meme. Although it was not well received by those tagged. I'm afraid some take themselves too seriously.

Thomas Pluck said...

Finally did it... it was good fun picking some of them out.
http://www.pluckyoutoo.com/2008/11/z.html

Bill Dan Courtney said...

Finally finished my meme and linked to this post. my permalink is:

http://uraniumcafe-the.com/2008/12/05/the-uranium-cafe-alphabet-meme/

Bill at the Uranium Cafe

Manny said...

Hey, I just posted one that focuses exclusively on Foreign Language Films. You can check it out here:

Foreign Language Films from A - Z

Unknown said...

Just came across your Alphabet Movie Meme and deicded to play along. Fun idea! Here's my link:

http://alas3lads.blogspot.com/2009/09/alphabet-movie-meme.html