Featured Posts

Jan 21, 2008

Fletch's Mini Film Review: El Orfanato (The Orphanage)

Juan Antonio Bayona's feature debut is a haunting fantasy (the horror label hardly applies) presented by the reigning rey (español for "king," gringos) of haunting fantasies, Guillermo Del Toro. It's punctuated by strong performances by all, and a story sprinkled with a little Never-Neverland dust that lends it some magic, and some very real human concerns (HIV, um, oprhaned children) that lend it some depth. A moody thriller with a great twist, this one should have you thinking about it long after you leave the theater - just don't think about the inevitable American redux starring Sarah Michelle Alba...

Fletch's Film Rating:

"It's in the hole!"


6 people have chosen wisely: on "Fletch's Mini Film Review: El Orfanato (The Orphanage)"

Adam Frazier said...

Nice review, my thoughts exactly. Where's your Cloverfield review? C'mon man it's Monday! hah.

Nayana Anthony said...

I can't handle horror. But since you say it's not really horror, maybe I'll give this one a shot. I do like Guillermo del Toro.

Fletch said...

@ Adam - funny you should say that about Cloverfield. I couldn't believe how many people had their reviews up by this morning. It makes me not want to do one, as I'd be so late to the party. I'm still undecided.

@ Nayana - yeah, I don't think you have much to worry about. I'm no big horror fan, either. Let's just say this has a lot less gore than Pan's Labyrinth did. It is intense, though...

Nick said...

Fletch: Are all your opinions about Cloverfield the same as everybody else's, then? I know what you mean, though. I saw it first showing and I still felt I was behind the times due to Shea and them already having reviews up, and mine not adding much that they hadn't already said.

Fletch said...

@ Nick - I doubt they're totally the same, but they're not far off from what I've seen. I'm sure I'll put something up sooner or later, but I've been pretty tardy with my reviews lately, anyway...

Martha Elaine Belden said...

i can't wait to see this one! and i love that you described it as a "haunting fantasy" ... that's exactly how i would have described pan's, too. i hated that people kept calling it horror.

anyway... glad you liked it.