Featured Posts

Dec 11, 2007

Belated Birthday Wishes

Blog Cabins turned one year old on Sunday, a day after Mrs. Fletch's birthday. As you might have imagined, it was a busy weekend in Fletchland. As such, I neglected to post anything commemorating the anniversary of my entering the blogosphere.

However, I've done enough celebrating of Blog Cabins lately (all I'll say is "MUCHAS GRACIAS" to any regular readers I've had over the last 12 months - I really do appreciate you). In light of this, I'm handing out presents (awards) to some of my favorite bloggers (movie or otherwise). Some awards are probably wanted; others, not so much - but if you're here, it's because I read you often and love what you do, so keep on doing whatever it is you do.

Best Blogger whose move to New York has temporarily killed his blog: Matt from The Spoon.
In case you don't know it, Matt is one busy guy. As it was, he posted frequently on The Spoon. Then he decided to start up a sports blog (The Athlete's Footnotes). On top of that, he moved to New York and started a third blog (My New York Times), all the while trying to earn gainful employment and go to school. What a masochist. I know his stomach agrees with me. As a result, The Spoon has seen a drastic drop in posts. However, I can hardly blame the guy, and I hold out faith that he will return in a strong fashion - that is, after he's managed to find a way to write while sleeping in his cardboard box.

Best View from the Inside: Intermission at Work
Speaking of busy, Joe from I@W works as a theater manager by night, then turns around to be a pretty prolific movie blogger by day. Oh, and he also runs three other blogs during his spare time, all in an effort to dominate the world and make a living via blogging. His determination is nothing if not inspiring.

Best Concept: Reel Whore
With such running features as the "Spank Bank" and the monthly "Gang Bang" where upcoming releases are dissected, the Reel Whore has a good thing going. As he says it, "I am cinema's bitch and herein lie my confessions." Aren't we all.

Best "Non-Fletch Film Rating System" Rating System: Counting Down the Hours
Adam has good taste. Really good taste, taking the FFRS and putting his spin on it. Oh, and he's apparently got a killer 'fro, too.

Blogger That Often Makes Me Feel Like an Amateurish Hack: MovieJohn of (appropriately) John's Movie Blog
If any movie blogger I know is destined to write for a respected media outlet, it's MovieJohn. If you're looking for extremely well-written, cogent, pro-style reviews, his is the site to visit. He knows his stuff, doesn't mess around, and gets right down to writing some great reviews.

The Onion Award for the Strongest Opinion: Joe from Joe's Movie Corner
Joe writes with a stream-of-consciousness style that few can do well, giving the reader a clear insight as to what his opinions are on any number of subjects. He's also apt to using color, caps, differing font sizes, and slang/internets-speak to bring his point across more - never are you in doubt of what his feelings are.

Blog with the Best Not-Really-Movie-Related Running Feature: The Critical Critics
Head over to TCC and you'll find a new poll running every few days. It's simple, straightforward, and possibly sexist, but I don't hear anyone complaining. The "Celebrity Critics Poll" is an NCAA-style tournament to determine the hottest female celebrity in town, and it's currently reached the Sweet 16 round. Oh, and the reviews are pretty darn good, too.

Best Use of the Third Person: Riding with Rickey
Rickey doesn't (usually) write about movies, but just about his life in general. He also happens to have Rickey Henderson as an alias, employing the always hilarious way in which the real Rickey speaks as his writing style. Somehow never gets old (the fact that the content is funny on its own doesn't hurt, either).

Well, that does it for the First Annual Blog Cabins Anniversary Awards (note: name needs work). Please don't feel bad if you didn't get an award - heck, that may be a good thing, considering...


8 people have chosen wisely: on "Belated Birthday Wishes"

joen05 said...

Grats and thanks for the plug, fletch! You should add that I am a programmer during the day, manager at night, and blog whenever I can... haha. Nah I'm kidding. This blog is def an inspiration to me. I hope I can last this long!

Anonymous said...

One Year....Congrats Fletch!

That´s like 364 days longer than any blog underscore ever created.

Matt said...

Thanks Fletch! I'd like to write about what an inspiration Blog Cabins is and how cool it is to be a part of the online movie blogging community, but I have to go to work. Dangit. Thanks again though!

Anonymous said...

I've been a fan for almost 10 months now. Congrats on the birthday, and keep up the great work, brotha!

Anonymous said...

Good job. I'd like to blog somthing someday, is it hard to make ablog? How do you get poeple to read it?

Anonymous said...

Dude, I'm lovin' the blog cabins. Cheers to the years to come!

Reel Whore said...

Congrats on making it a year Fletch!, I hope I can last as long. Much thanks to the shout-out, I hope I can find the time to continually improve Reel Whore to your (and hopefully many others) liking!

J.D. said...

Huzzah! Thank you, Fletch!

(Now, if I can only get over the fact that someone thinks I write with extreme clarity...)