Featured Posts

Feb 10, 2007

Fletch's Film Review: Pan's Labyrinth

Well, it's only been like three weeks since I saw Pan's Labyrinth, but I can't procrastinate any longer.

It's strange - "Pan" was/is one of my most anticipated movies of the last 6 months, and it was very good, but I just don't have that much to say about it. I know that's not an eye-grabbing, marketing-department-approved way to start a movie review, but it's the truth.

Perhaps I read too many previews/reviews/press about films, but I can't think of anything to say about "Pan" that hasn't already been said. Sure, I could go the conspirator route and argue the reality/fantasy aspect of it all, but that's seems almost besides the point.

In the end, it is a fairy tale in the truest sense. It's dark as hell, whimsical, dangerous, gory, fantastic, hopeful, and finds happiness in a world of doom.

Well acted, beautifully filmed, and with excellent special effects/costumes, Guillermo Del Toro delivers one of the, if not the, best films of 2006/2007. It's ridiculous that it wasn't nominated for Best Picture, but we should have (and did) expected that from the Academy.

93 out of 100


0 people have chosen wisely: on "Fletch's Film Review: Pan's Labyrinth"