Featured Posts

Oct 25, 2007

TGITDNMAR (10/25/07)

It's that time again for TGITDNMAR, which (obviously) stands for Thank God It's The Day New Movies Are Released.

Hear that sound? It’s crickets. I guess Halloween (and to some extent, the World Series) scares away potential moviegoers as well, what with only two major releases this week hitting theaters. And the two aren’t even high profile, to boot. Time to catch up on some smaller movies that might still be out (2 Days in Paris, perhaps?) or see one of the many that came out in the last few weeks (Michael Clayton, Elizabeth: The Golden Age, We Own the Night, Rendition, Reservation Road). That’s my plan, anyway.

Dan in Real Life
(Insert Bruce Almighty joke here.)

Steve Carell looks to jump-start his movie career after the bloated failure of his last outing. It’s hard to say if Dan looks good or not. Part of me says yes, but the other part just pretends that Ben Stiller is playing the lead role and wonders if I would think it was a heaping pile if that were the case. The truth most likely falls somewhere in the middle. Nevertheless, this has a pretty solid supporting cast helping out, including John Mahoney, Dianne Wiest and Juliette Binoche (oh, and Dane Cook, too – no comment).
Fletch’s Chance of Viewing (in the theater): 19%

Saw IV
Well, I really missed the boat here, having not seen the second or third installments of the latest never-dying horror franchise. Much as I loved Cary Elwes some 20 years ago in The Princess Bride, his acting in the last 15 minutes of the original was enough to make me stop watching this series. Just plain awful – I mean, he’s never been the greatest actor in the world (only good at non-American accents), but he should have been forced to change his name after that. Oh yeah – this version. I don’t really know or care much about it. Jigsaw is like back even though he died in earlier movies (I know more than I let on). Color me utterly shocked.
Fletch’s Chance of Viewing: .666%


3 people have chosen wisely: on "TGITDNMAR (10/25/07)"

Ms☆Go said...

My regard for you has just gone up.
See, my latest post. :)

RC said...

i thought i might be interested in seeing dan in the theaters...but it's definitly being booted to the "rent it" catagory.

Kristen said...

Saw Dan in Real Life this weekend, and thought it sappy, unconvincing, uncentered, and basically just not worth the price of a ticket and a box of Milk Duds. Some parts were funny but basically, I agree with your Ben Stiller instinct: heaping pile.